Sunday 12 June 2011

The Cold Light of Day

    Yesterday was a day of firsts for me. It was my town's Pride day, and my wife was relaxed enough for me to go along a the girl rather than the scruffy bloke. So, first major daylight outing for me, plus first outing in my home town.
    I guess a Pride event is not quite the same as the real world. It's a giant safe space full of gay people, hardly the same as a busy city centre on a Saturday afternoon. But it was a chance to be out a lot closer to the real world than I might otherwise be, so I was very anxious to take it.
    And it proved to be rather entertaining. My confidence was high, the atmosphere was friendly and the other attendees provided plenty of entertainment. I was with a group of my local trans friends, we settled down in the crowd and had a picnic while watching the more flamboyant among the gay community.
    Some people question why we should go to Pride events. We're not gay, they say, we're not part of their scene and our mission is to be invisible. Very true, none of our party were gay and I think we'd all just like to be unremarkable women just like any natal woman. But there are times when being just slightly visible is a good idea, and in a world where we still need allies if some of us are just a little visible at a Pride event it can't do any harm.
    Yesterday morning was sunny and warm. I thus selected a floaty summery top and jeans for the afternoon, imagining a summery picnic in the park. Big mistake. Almost as we arrived at the event a wall of dark clouds rolled up along with a chilly wind. It could have been worse, but you might say I suffered for my art.
    So that was it. Jenny at large. Normal, unremarkable, enjoying herself. Another couple of barriers broken.

12 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the daylight outing! We are not vampires, and shouldn't have to come out only at night. ;) Three cheers for your wife too!

    Melissa XX

    ReplyDelete
  2. You enjoyed yourself as yourself. What more can be said? Yes indeed, your wife is a gem!

    Shirley Anne xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, we need to be the visible allies for pride. And Cheers for seeing the light of day, even if it turned a little gray, you were like the colorful butterfly, sitting peacefully enjoying the day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a good day. I hope it's lifted your spirits

    Becca

    ReplyDelete
  5. You forgot to mention you bought your first pint dressed as Jenny. That is a milestone to celebrate, even if your lovly wife drank most of it.

    Jae

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well said, well said.
    And I think you wife has earned a special treat for approving the trip _and_ for going with you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. sounds like you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. it sounds like thay injoyed them self
    more day time outings requiered

    ReplyDelete
  9. Morning all, and thanks.

    I am indeed indebted to my wife, she's special.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Go Jenny, you are so lucky to have such an understanding wife. Trans men and women should be proudly accepted at Pride events, it's all part of the rainbow. Been there too and frozen in a flimsy top or dress at events, but I bet you looked lovely :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you had a good time, Jenny.

    Your 4th paragraph says it all!

    Calie xxx

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.